Backup VistaDB and SQL Database and Images
To backup a VistaDB database simply copy the database directory to the backup destination.
- Locate database.
- Copy the database.
- After you have copied the database. You will need to paste it to the new location or storage device.
- Depending on the size of the database it could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours for the files to transfer. Do not turn off the computer or unplug the storage device.
It is highly recommended that backups be stored on an external drive that is always disconnected from the server. Ransomware and other attacks can corrupt any drive attached to the server, so the backups should be disconnected when a backup is not in progress.
SQL Database backup
It is recommended that someone with knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL) perform the backups for your server.
When backing up, you MUST perform both an image backup (see VistaDB Instructions above) and a SQL database backup in order to back up the entire database.
Side note: If you do not have SSMS downloaded and installed to your server, download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).*
To back up the SQL database perform the following steps inside of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
- You will need the Username and Password for the SQL database. Which could be found in the 'Settings' tab in SOTA Image.
Once you have the Username and Password. Open up SSMS.
Insert all the information needed to log into SSMS.
- Locate the database inside of SSMS.
- Use the backup database task.
To navigate to the backup database task, right-click the database (in this case SOTA Image) then navigate to Tasks, then click 'Back Up...'.
This screen will appear:
Make sure all the details in the Destination are correct and then click on the 'OK' button.
Restore the Database
- Locate databases in SSMS.
- Right-click 'Databases' and select 'Restore Database...'.
- Proceed to the next menu page and locate the correct database backup and input the destination for where you want the database restored.
- Verify the information is correct and select 'OK'.
*This backup process can be automated with third-party backup software. We recommend talking to your Practice IT team to see if this may be an option for your office.